Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spring has sprung, they’re back! Reply To: Spring has sprung, they’re back!

Funny hogs picking your food box when there’s a larger nesting one ready & waiting! As it’s suddenly got so cold I hope the one who stayed in the box is fast asleep now. Maybe the other one will pick the nest box if he hasn’t already.

The nest box has had some interest here as have the 2 buckets (put an extra one out) I’ve secured on their sides under the shrubs with hay in for anyone who wants some. Some nights there’s hay trampled in one bucket & a perfect round hog shaped hole at the back where someone has obviously spent some time resting & keeping warm during the night, one morning there were two smaller entry tunnels (or an entry & exit!) in hay in the bucket as I push the hay back in if it’s obvious there’s nobody in there so it doesn’t get wet if it rains. I collected a couple of buckets of leaves from the car park & scattered them under the shrubs & on a pile of cuttings & twiggy bits I started to build further down the garden in the border this summer, assorted materials for anybody needing them.

Much activity in the feeders, plenty of poo to clean up every day varying from stonking great huge hog poo to baby size, suspect the babes will have to refrain from hibernating so making sure there are plenty of places for them to shelter from cold weather. There are two cat kennels, one I made the entrance hog sized, fleece blanket in each, judging by the poo in the open one it’s well used.

Birds are a treat still like yours, robin almost landed on my hand one morning in his enthusiasm to have breakfast. Pigeon still there most days, squirrels entertaining us, crazy starlings raiding the feeder most days. The pigeons wait for the sparrows to drop food then gather underneath hoovering up as they go.

Keep warm, hope all is well in your garden.

Hedgehog