Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spring has sprung, they’re back! Reply To: Spring has sprung, they’re back!

Nic

Hi Annie

It’s good to hear from you.

The two big boys are hopefully safely hibernating. But my cameras are busier at the moment than they were in the Summer!

There is another medium sized hog, who I think might be a female (hope so). She has been around for a while but won’t go into the remaining feeding box. So I have been scattering her food on the grass and she seems quite happy foraging for it. It all seems to be gone by the morning. Then about 2 weeks ago a hoglet turned up very early one morning, but didn’t come back – that is until about a week ago. Now I have the pair of them (mostly one at a time) foraging for the sprinkled kitten biscuits. I’ve started sprinkling them on the patio as well, now there are two of them.

A cat turns up now and then but only eats a little bit of the food – seemingly can’t be bothered to waste too much time foraging. Then the night before last a rat was seen, but it arrived after most of the food had gone, so I’m hoping it won’t be tempted back. One of the frogs was caught on video leaping out of the pond one night! (the pond is behind where most of the food is sprinkled).

I’m trying to encourage the hogs into the feeding box, but so far they only go just inside the doorway. But the sprinkled food might not work so well if it rains. They must be able to fit through to the food – the big boys had no trouble.

It sounds as if the hogs there have lots of options. As well as keeping you busy clearing up after them! A good idea to collect a load of leaves. Nice to hear pigeon is still visiting and the squirrels.

Fingers crossed all the hogs do ok – there and here- it sounds as if it’s going to get colder soon.

Hedgehog