Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Too early for hibernation? Reply To: Too early for hibernation?

Nic

Hi Lou,

Some hoglets choose not to hibernate at all and others will hibernate late, so don’t worry too much about it not hibernating yet. Just keep offering food and water as you have been.

It’s a good idea to leave water available all day every day, including during the winter and even if there don’t appear to be any hogs around any longer. They are known to emerge for short periods during hibernation time and may welcome a drink.

If the hoglet seems small, as Paulinegreen suggested, I would weigh it. 450g is the recommended weight to survive hibernation, but if the hoglet is only a bit below that and it is turning up regularly every night for food, I would be inclined to let it be and monitor it’s progress. It’s very stressful for hogs to be taken into captivity and not all will survive, so ‘rescuing’ them is not an easy option.

Good luck. I hope you find the hoglet is already a good weight.

Hedgehog