Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Spring has sprung, they’re back! Reply To: Spring has sprung, they’re back!

Hi Nic

The weather is very up & down, think if I was a hibernating animal I’d be exhausted wondering whether to do it or not.

There have been some nights with what appears to be just mouse activity in the feeder boxes but a few nights ago in the large feeder definite hog crumbs left in the dish plus poo, muddy footprints & bits of straw scattered around. Last night all food gone, The entrance to the nest box shows signs of someone having gone in or out or both as straw is scattered. First time there’s been any strong indication of the box being used. Maybe time to start a new thread for 2022, that’s a thought!

Hopefully you’ll be seeing the boys soon, but there could be some proper winter still so I’m hoping mine will go back to sleep & yours wait until it’s warmer. At least in our gardens hogs always know where to get food & water. I put a small water dish in the large feeder as it doesn’t freeze in there. I stopped using the camera as it objects to the cold & damp like yours sounds as if it’s doing.

My Garden Birdwatch was reasonable on Friday, tried again a couple of times over the weekend in the hope of more of my regulars turning up but gave up eventually as they obviously knew & were doing their usual trick of staying away for the watch.

Glad the cats aren’t being a nuisance for you & hope the ratty folk go elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

Hedgehog