Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings January hedgehogs Reply To: January hedgehogs

hello Nic, I fed hedgehogs up until late October when they stopped coming to the feeder. I know there were three different ones at least. One had to be rescued by the SSPCA in mid October when I found it sunbathing in the middle of the day; it was a good length but thin. I assumed they had hibernated until I saw this one quite by chance last month. Weighed in at between 700 and 800g. The trailcam has seen it in the feeder every night since then. There is water every day throughout the year. The previous winter, there were hedgehogs visiting right into early December.

Coincidentally my sister who lives down in Galloway in SW Scotland also fed hedgehogs during the summer and autumn and also saw one by chance about two weeks ago. It barely weighed 400g and the local rehabilitator who took it away described it as “absolutely starving”. Since then my sister has also dusted off her feeder and trailcam and has had recorded nightly visits. I live near sea level just outside Dingwall in Ross-shire and we have had fairly mild winter until last couple of days with only a handful of frosty nights.

Hedgehog