Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Hi Mags

I also have mice visiting, they set the camera off frequently & must eat a fair few kitten biscuits.

I find even the purpose made tunnels don’t deter cats, you need as many angles as possible & as Nic said reduced height as a hog is very able to squish itself to get under, over or past awkward shapes whereas a cat isn’t quite so bendable because of their length. One entrance to my feeder has an inverted V shaped wooden tunnel the height of the doorway in the centre of the V (like a regular house roof shape) with 4 (2 end to end with 2 on top to form a wall) bricks directly opposite the open end of it leaving (about 3 & a half inches) no space for anything as big as a cat to enter, the other entrance is close to a resin shed & has an elaborate arrangement of screwed in place space reducing bits & bobs which the very fed up cat has finally admitted to being defeated by. It’s taken years & much head scratching to come up with the answer, but finally cracked it. Wile E. Coyote has nothing on cats!!

Hedgehog