Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

hi Annie Mac, yes the wee mouse seems to be stashing a lot of hedgehog food.

my purpose built feeder has entrances at each side leading into a tunnel the width of the feeder with an entrance into an unfloored central feeding area. I reduced the entrance height with slabs etc but still found a cat getting in.

The 2 new separate timber tunnels fit at each side of the feeder and have entrances at their ends which align with the original feeder entrances. This means anything entering has to walk up the new tunnel and double back through a ‘door’ at the rear side of the tunnel which aligns with the original feeder entrance. (photos on Riverside Woodcraft site). Hoping the fact they have to get up one tunnel and double-back through the original feeder tunnel does the trick as there are so many cats here.

Last year I had used a home made plastic storage box feeder with added tunnel which I again had to reduce the height of with slabs. I find the purpose built one much easier to keep clean – no gaffer tape!

Hedgehog