Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

hi Annie

so far two nights with no cat burlaries – tunnels working so far. I have not attached them to the feeder (it’s heavy enough as it is and the tunnels are hefty solid timber) but put them in place by the feeder, with heavy stones to keep them from being moved.

Put the trailcam outside last night rather than in the feeder and the footage did show a couple of cats sniffing around but not getting in. Vinyl flooring is a good idea, at the moment my feeder is on a corner of my very rough lawn but I plan to place it on slabs. I do hope it continues to keep the cats out, as it’s been such a battle since autumn 2020 when I started.

I don’t know if any hogs nest in the garden, when I have seen them they have appeared from the grassy back lane.. I do have an ‘igloo’ style box which I bought back in 2020 and tucked away under a shrub but have considered checking and replacing it. If they do nest in the garden I expect they would be under my garden shed.

This year have been feeding since mid January when I spotted a big hog in the front garden. Up till the last week they were getting through a lot of food and leaving nothing, but now have been leaving more so have been able to reduce the amount – maybe finding more natural food as we progress into spring.

Hedgehog