Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog houses Reply To: Hog houses

About 2 weeks ago , a hedgehog was slowly wobbling along the path towards to patio doors. It was around 5-5.30pm and still light. It didn’t seem to know where it was going to.

I threw a few hedgehog biscuits infront of it, which made it scared and it wandered off back in the other direction. It stopped on the lawn and was trying to eat grass or bird food.

So, I decided to nip out very quickly to the little local shop to get some meaty chicken dog/cat food . The ones on the little tinfoil packs.

When I got back hedgehog was still in the same place, and so I place some of the mashed up food infront of it. He ate but very slowly.
After about 20mins , I checked again, still eating. More time passed and eventually it had eaten all the food, but still in the same place.
Around 8.30pm I went out to have a look and the poor little thing had fallen asleep, curled up on the lawn.

I am lucky to have a hedghog house which was not being used, so I placed him in there with straw and hoped for the best.

Over the days , having placed water and food at the house , which get’s eaten but not necessarily by my hedgehog , and the last few days hedgehog has been so still not moved and when touched absolutely no sign of life or ripples of spines…. nothing.

Yesterday, as there was a slight smell which had been evident for about 3 days, (but no flies), I assumed he was almost certainly dead, and considered taking him out and burying him .

Oh my goodness, how close that was….. ! This morning , it’s clear he’s been moving around through the night and in a different position.

One lucky little hedghog.

Hedgehog