Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hog houses Reply To: Hog houses

Nic

Hi Puddle Duck

Yes, it definitely sounds as if the hog needs help. So I would ring that number Mags63 gave you (also at bottom left of this page) as soon as possible. It sounds as if the hog needed help 2 weeks ago.

Apologies I didn’t notice your post earlier – it must have been posted whilst I was writing my previous one and so got buried.

If anyone has a potentially sick or injured hog at any time, it is best to start a new topic – then it is more likely to be spotted earlier.

But also if a hog appears to be ill, the best thing to do is to ring the number for BHPS straight away and get the number of a carer. When speaking to a carer, more information can be provided and advice taken. It’s better to be safe than sorry. But if a hog is wobbling and looking unwell, it probably is. Hogs being wild animals would not want to show to potential predators that they are unwell until they absolutely can’t help it, by which time they might be past help.

If anyone finds a sick or injured hog, don’t put it off until the next day. Get the hog inside in a box with either a small towel or torn up paper it can burrow in, provide food and water and ring 01584 890801 for contact details of a carer to get advice.

More information from BHPS https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/found-a-hedgehog/

Good luck. Let us know how the little hog gets on.

Hedgehog