Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Poo Reply To: Poo

Nic

Hi Mags63

Sounds about right the hog deciding to poo there just after this conversation. They seem to like being contrary! Can almost hear a hog saying ‘silly humans trying to work out why we do what we do – I’ll just do something different to confuse them all!!’

In general hoglets seem to actively like sharing and females sometimes will share with some other females, but not others. With males it’s unusual for them to share (other than with a hoglet). So your sister’s two hogs happily eating together could have been youngsters or females. But there are always exceptions. I have known of two males spending the day in the same box.

If that was a female hog inside your feeder – good for her telling him off! I often used to think it looked as if a female here was saying ‘leave me alone, can’t you see I’m trying to eat!!’ when a male was pestering her. I used to find that the females tended to turn up earlier so they got a chance to eat before the males turned up, but it didn’t always work.

Yes, it’s lovely having some warm dry weather – but still some frosts in the early mornings. Fingers crossed for no snow!

Hedgehog