Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Helga returns Reply To: Helga returns

Nic

Hi IvanB

That’s lovely that Helga has appreciated the care you provide for her, already!

I have some fairly small (children’s) tables which I sometimes strategically place for shade if it’s hot and the sun is on a hog box. But you might find in the really hot weather that Helga might go and nap under a nearby bush (if there are any). Also, if she has hoglets, females often do nip out during the day to get a break from the youngsters. But in that case the hoglets might appreciate a bit of shade for the hut. It depends what lengths you want to go to, but alternatively, maybe a special hog sunshade umbrella.

Interesting re. your blackbird – I also get them here, as well as robins and various corvids. I’ve taken to scattering some of the kitten biscuits on the lawn as I have some hogs here who don’t like going in boxes, but also get cats. If I scatter the kitten biscuits the cats are too lazy to forage for them all and the hogs don’t seem to mind. Inevitably a few get left for the lucky birds!

Hedgehog