Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Nic

Hi Lindyloo22

That will be two males – one of which has just rolled up the other. Hogs don’t have territories, but have ranges, which overlap. Male hogs will often biff and roll up and roll along (as you saw) another male hog which enters into his personal space. Some people think it is because of food, but my personal feeling is that we see it more in feeding areas because that is where we have (inadvertently) encouraged the hogs to gather. I have had cameras in parts of my garden away from food and seen the same behaviour if two males meet.

A female being around also might be likely to make the biffing more frequent.

Yes, it’s great having a camera and being able to see the hogs’ behaviour. You might even be able to recognise which is the dominant male if you learn to identify the hogs by their natural markings.

Good luck and happy hog watching to you!

Hedgehog