Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Do hogs eat slugs? Reply To: Do hogs eat slugs?

Nic

Hi Mark UK

To me your description of your (rather barbaric! Definitely don’t want to be slicing up newts by mistake!) way of dealing with slugs reinforces the idea that if you create a ‘vacuum’ of slugs others will move in.

I don’t do much to deter slugs and don’t seem to have anything like the problems it sounds as if you have. Nature has a way of sorting these things out if not interfered with too much.

I think you will find that it’s widely accepted that the large slugs are useful in the garden and that if they didn’t exist we would have much more slowly rotting plant material to deal with. Quote from Carol Klein (link below): “Quite honestly, if we didn’t have slugs and snails we would all be knee-deep in debris and rubbish because that is what they do: they chomp through it.”

https://www.countryliving.com/uk/homes-interiors/gardens/a39460692/carol-klein-slugs/

Maybe some frogs in the garden would help the hedgehogs. Or apparently ducks are good (if your garden is a bit larger).

Hedgehog