Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Do hogs eat slugs? Reply To: Do hogs eat slugs?

I like my newts, I watch them and would never hurt one.. but they do eat all my tadpoles so I only have adult frogs and toads.
But I don’t agree.. I have been doing this for 10 years and once I have reduced the numbers I am OK for the rest of the growing season.. pretty well there now. If I see something with damage I go out and deal with the culprit.. and that is usually sufficient. The small slugs do make holes in my salads but it is the big ones that destroy them and even my spuds and tomatoes… And plenty of worms pull my leaves and rotting plant material into the top layer of the soil.. plus I have compost bins. Now ducks.. that would work but my garden is really very small and I can only grow a small quantity of plants.. so sacrificial losses are not on.. I am also on clay which is sympathetic to slugs and my first spring, they took everything!… my last garden was on sand and they were not a problem.
But plenty of hogs and, hopefully, more on the way as there were a couple mating just outside the patio window last week.

Hedgehog