Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Dead Hedgehog in House Reply To: Dead Hedgehog in House

Nic

Hi Celeste

So sorry to hear about the poor hog – it must have been a horrible shock for you to find it.

Very sadly, hibernation is one of the most dangerous (natural) times for hogs and some of them do not survive. They have to get the levels of the two different fats just right to firstly keep them ticking over during hibernation and secondly to enable them to arouse themselves from hibernation, possibly several times. Added to that is that some of them will be older hogs and potentially die for that reason.

So I think it’s unlikely that it was anything to do with the box. And don’t forget – the hog chose the box, so must have thought it was suitable. The tunnel should have provided sufficient ventilation.

During hibernation the hog’s natural processes slow right down. Quote from ‘Hedgehogs’ by Pat Morris: “…..The heart rate slows to less then 20 beats a minute, respiration almost stops altogether and up to an hour may elapse between short bursts of breathing. …”

So don’t beat yourself up too much – I am sure that you have been trying your very best for the hogs and I suspect haven’t done anything which is harmful. It’s easy to blame ourselves, but the truth is that some hogs will die whatever we do or don’t do.

But yes, RIP hoggie – always very sad. But I’m sure you will continue to your best for all the other hogs which come your way. I hope you are able to continue enjoying their visits.

p.s. Don’t forget to enter the poor hog onto the Big Hedgehog Map. I always think that it’s a way of remembering them and making sure that their life can make a difference to other hogs. You might also be interested in this https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-ive-found-a-dead-hedgehog/

Hedgehog