Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Dead Hedgehog in House Reply To: Dead Hedgehog in House

Thank you Nic for your kind words and reassurance. Every creature has a lifespan, I know we can’t play God to the natural world.
In my ignorance I assumed the entrance tunnel would provide ventilation. But both farther back the tunnel and the rest chamber itself were pretty well packed. Some straw that I had left nearby but also lots of leaves (I never clear them in the Autumn) so little hedgehog had made a lovely nest.
I did wonder if it was a late born hoglet, it was not a chunky specimen and there was still a hedgehog feeding beyond Christmas.
It was upsetting to find. I was so thrilled to discover the visitors to my garden in the first lockdown, since then have tried to support them. They give me so pleasure; they are characterful, fascinating wild creatures so will continue to try and help them.
I have already logged the sadly dead hedgehog on the map, but thank you for the link – will go there next.
Again thank you for your support.

Hedgehog