Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Another Hedgehog Death Reply To: Another Hedgehog Death

Nic

Hi Celeste

Yes, we all get to attached to ‘our’ hogs that it can be as bad as losing a pet when one dies. I still feel sad about a poor hog here, who turned up with a horrible strimmer injury and had to euthanased. A beautiful hog who I had known since he was a hoglet. And that was years ago, now. There have been others, but mention a strimmer and there he still is, in my mind.

But on a lighter note. Great news that there is a hog back. I found the acrilyc roof with open sides idea worked quite well – even with hogs who didn’t like going in boxes. But some birds will go under in the mornings, if there’s any food left – especially starlings, I found.

Yes, I also get a good selection of corvids coming down for any leftovers they can get hold of! I had a hilarious video a couple of years back of a rat chasing a magpie. The magpie kept trying to get some of the leftovers, but the rat wouldn’t have it and every time the magpie landed the rat charged at it. Never seen a rat with so much energy! It was pretty much rat 1 magpie nil! Even though the rat didn’t ever manage to catch even as much as a feather!

Hedgehog