Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Strimmers Reply To: Strimmers

Apologies SeagullSuzie – didn’t mean to cross post with you ๐Ÿ™ (What Did You Do For Hedgehog Awareness Week) Speaking nicely to one of the groundworks team in person is brilliant. Maybe you could offer a packet of biscuits as a bribe (sorry – goodwill gesture!) to reinforce the message ๐Ÿ™‚
Quick update from me. Too soon for replies but have written to county, district and town councils. We have a very supportive town councillor so as well as the strimmer plea also enlarged on the need for hedgehog highways etc. in our small market town (as everywhere – new housing estates springing up.)
I have also emailed several strimmer manufacturers to suggest ”warning’ stickers. Next step will be to approach local garden centres to ask if they will display posters on notice board.
I don’t do social media but maybe this is another good way to communicate the message instantly in a modern world?
Sorry to finish on a sad note but here is a poem from the old world of over 40 years ago; ‘The Mower’ by Philip Larkin – still relevant, still with the pain of loss; we need the ‘kind’ more than ever now.

The mower stalled, twice; kneeling, I found
A hedgehog jammed up against the blades,
Killed. It had been in the long grass.
I had seen it before, and even fed it, once.
Now I had mauled its unobtrusive world
Unmendably. Burial was no help:
Next morning I got up and it did not.
The first day after a death, the new absence
Is always the same; we should be careful
Of each other, we should be kind
While there is still time.

Hedgehog