Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog sighting Reply To: Hedgehog sighting

Rad

I wonder if anyone has experienced predation of hedgehogs by foxes?

Since September 2021 I fed hogs under 2 up-turned boxes in my garden; I was surprised and delighted that 3 to 5 hogs visited each night until December. Hog visits dropped off in January but 2 male hogs over-wintered in a nest box in my garden; I could see them on camera feeding at night.

In early June this year I noticed a couple of visiting hogs had injured hind legs- very upsetting to see – but they could still move fast and were difficult to catch. At the same time, a male fox occasionally visited my garden for a couple of minutes – he showed little interest in the food underneath the upturned boxes – but ran once round the garden sniffing and disappeared. I then found a dead curled-up hog in a nearby alley running between neighbours’ gardens. The hog’s underbelly had a fox-size bite taken out of it. I was shocked to see this and immediately stopped feeding hedgehogs as I was afraid a visiting fox might kill a hedgehog in my garden. I have not seen one hedgehog in my garden since I stopped leaving food out. A female fox now visits my garden at roughly 3 am to feed on slugs! I would really like to feed hedgehogs but am afraid a fox will kill them.

I’d be glad to hear from anyone who has experienced anything similar.

Hedgehog