Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Hedgehog sighting Reply To: Hedgehog sighting

Nic

Hi Rad

Sorry to hear about the problem with the fox. I haven’t had a problem here, but have heard of various problems elsewhere. Apparently, young foxes sometimes play, chasing the hogs and sometimes bite off hind legs.

But also apparently some adult foxes become hog catching experts. I’m told they wait for the hog to unroll and then pounce on the belly area – which fits in with the poor hog you found. Sadly, once they learn this behaviour, it seems unlikely they will stop and if they have any youngsters, it’s possible they could learn the same behaviour from their parent.

So I think you are wise stopping feeding the hogs. I know it is sad, but the hogs may not be so wary approaching and leaving feeding areas, even if a fox could not get into the actual feeding station. I imagine if the hogs were foraging for wild food, they might be more alert.

Maybe the best thing to do is to make your garden as wildlife friendly as you can, so that the hogs can forage for wild food, when you might still see them.

Sorry not to give better news. But, good luck to the hogs in the area – hope that they can evade that fox.

Hedgehog