Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Happy Event! Reply To: Happy Event!

Update on the two hoglets progess….. Fascinating to observe all this not only on trail cam, but also by quietly sitting out for an hour or so before last light.
Mum would usually emerge through the hole in the fence first, about 8pm, have a good feed, then re-emerge with hoglets in tow an hour later.
Right from the start, 1 hoglet stayed mostly with mum, while the other explored on its own.
After only 5 nights, the adventurous hoglet spent a night alone in a nestbox in the garden.
Nights 7&8 a large male tried repeatedly to mate with the mother, frequently biffing the hoglets out of the way.
By now, both hoglets were foraging widely and responding to the male with snorts and raised spines. They were also using both feeding stations.
This evening, 11 nights after first sighting, my neighbour brought me one of the hoglets, that his dog found hiding in his garage!! It was a male, weighed 221 grams, it was the same hoglet that was spotted spending a night alone 6 days before!! (As I write this he is in a nest box having had a feed & drink).
I really don’t know if the hoglets are truly independent yet, but it has been an education watching their progress…. they certainly grow up rapidly!!

Hedgehog