Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Strimmers Reply To: Strimmers

An update on strimmer awareness;
1) emailed several manufacturers. Mostly positive replies; there had been a blog, leaflets with hedgehog care/awareness. Makita have a hedgehog icon on the strimmer instruction leaflet with ‘check before you strim and cut.’
Interestingly just came across this petition to sign
https://www.change.org/p/bosch-protect-hedgehogs-from-strimmers
(Bristol area but addressed to ten garden equipment manufacturers.)
2) No reply to my letters to district and county councils. The reply from the town councillor was very positive, as to hedgehog highways/planning on the new housing estate and hedgehog awareness for the local groundworks teams.
3) The local garden centre has an extensive bird/wildlife section. Had a chat with the chap in charge. He is extremely knowledgeable (he has many birds and hedgehogs visiting his own garden.) He is great to talk to, friendly, helpful and an avid protector of wildlife. He was obviously engaging with customers, spreading the ‘be aware of hedgehog’ message.

In conclusion, I feel I have done a little something to try to raise awareness – in memory of the two dead hogs I found outside the back boundary of my garden.

Hedgehog