Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Hi Nic

Life’s been bit odd for a while so been absent from here.

I reduced feeding birds in the back garden to all feeders first thing in the morning & then a small amount in the fence (not hanging) feeders mid afternoon as pigeons became problematic arriving in great numbers & now things are quieter. Magpies still finishing off any kitten biscuits that the hogs leave, put them in the water dish from the night before & they’re very popular with the magpie babies.

The front garden is just bird baths & that’s a calm but very busy area for sparrows drinking & bathing, very pleasant as no screeching starlings. Mr & Mrs Blackbird & Woody Woodpigeon make good use of them too.

Hogs are visiting as usual nightly, some nights all food is gone others they leave some which means there’s enough to go round for them all. I met one charging up the path the other night when I went to fill the bird feeders ready for the morning, so I stood still & it rushed up to my bare toes, had a good sniff then wheeled round as if shot & tore into the hedgehog feeder!! All I could hear was crunching so my feet hadn’t put it off eating…..

How are your birds doing in this hot weather, did the martins nest in your eaves? Hope ratty has stayed away & wonder what the round frog is up to.

Hedgehog