Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Looking for advise on my hedgehog house and feeding station. Reply To: Looking for advise on my hedgehog house and feeding station.

Nic

I agree re. mealworms and nuts not being a good idea for hogs – for the reasons Celeste gave – caused by an imbalance of phosphorous and calcium in those foods. They aren’t necessary, as supplementary feeding is treat enough for the hogs. Even if only a small amount of mealworms are offered, some hogs may just pick out, i.e. mealworms to eat and by going to several different people who feed them (potentially to birds but left available for the hogs) and end up with too much. So it’s best not to offer them at all and stick to the cat/dog/meaty hog food and/or cat/kitten biscuits.

However, not so keen on hogs and foxes being fed together. Foxes are predators and some will eat hogs. So I can understand your concern, Ado. If they are fed side by side the hogs are very vulnerable as the foxes who eat hogs apparently wait until they unroll and then pounce. If the hog is eating it will already be unrolled. But also, young foxes, in particular, will apparently ‘play’ with hogs and can nip off their back legs. So what with one thing and another it’s best not to encourage the hogs to become too trusting of foxes. Feed boxes for the hogs which the foxes can’t access are probably a good idea.

Hedgehog