Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Urban Foxes and Hedgehogs Reply To: Urban Foxes and Hedgehogs

How distressing. I have cctv for watching the garden wildlife and in over 5 years of watching films from overnight (oh so many films) I’ve never seen a fox behave in this way. Having said that, I’ve not seen any hoglets around the foxes either, so the hogs must be aware of the fox threat to hoglets and have them somewhere else. The only hoglets I’ve seen were fully ‘prickled’. I have seen a hog bite a foxes tail tip as it passed by (a clear lunge). I have also seen (lots of times) foxes giving hedgehogs a wide berth, or even doing a retreating ‘moonwalk’. I hope the fox deposited the hoglet unharmed, not too far away. I would suggest that this is quite rare. The urban foxes in my garden seem to be terrified of anything bigger than a mouse.

Hedgehog