Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Help – hedgehog feeding station Reply To: Help – hedgehog feeding station

Nic

Hi suse.b

I have found over the years that some hogs just don’t like going into boxes to eat, however hard you try to encourage them.

The best way I found of feeding those hogs which prefer to eat ‘al fresco’ is to use a sheet of perspex type material (has the advantage that you can see through it) balanced either by bricks or earth filled flower pots at the corners and weighed down. The hogs seem to find that as good as ‘outside’, partly I suspect because there are more exit routes if any danger should arise. If you have problems with cats, the height can be adapted so the hogs just fit, but the cats need to creep so low that most (although not all) don’t seem to think it’s worth the bother.

As an alternative you could use the top of a bird table, so that the roof protected the food from the rain – although cats could more easily access that. Or, some people have used those small plastic footstools as shelter from the rain. But you might get away with a feeding box which has two exits/entrances.

I wonder whether your ‘proper hedgehog feeding station’ would do as a hog house instead?

Good luck, I hope you manage to find something that suits the hog.

Hedgehog