Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Gone missing Reply To: Gone missing

My dogs alerted me to a hedgehog in part of my garden- they bark ++++ as if annoyed at the intrusion. As it was a part of the garden set to be totally cleared in November I decided to try and relocate said hedgehog to another part of the garden where there wont be bulldozers to disturb any hibernating hogs. Within two days of me putting out a sturdy hedgehog house and food in a safe part of the garden a hog moved in. I set up a camera and for three or four weeks the hog merrily carried in hay and leaves to build its nest. The hog didnt really venture that far and spent most nights going in and out of the house using carrying leaves or hay. The hog scoffed the food every night. Then my camera failed and in the three or four nights it was not working the hog disappeared. Absolutely no sign, no food taken.Nothing. The camera now working again since the 14th September catches visiting field mice who don’t go inside the house. No sign of another hog trying to occupy it either. It just seems deserted. My dog did find the house about four days before it disappeared and so I don’t allow her out except on a lead now. Could she have scared the hog off? I really miss it.

Hedgehog