Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Gone missing Reply To: Gone missing

Thanks Nic, I have been a bit reluctant to leave food out as the camera picked up a rat one night a couple of weeks ago (before the hedgehog disappeared). Not seen a rat since. I did leave some food out last night but it was left untouched. The camera picks up a fair bit of field mouse activity but no hogs. I will remove the food.
Before this year I have never seen hedgehogs in my garden which until late last year has been tightly fenced. Then I had metal gates installed and I am wondering if they got in via them although the gaps are really small – 2 inches between rails. I am waiting (for the last two weeks) for someone in the family with a jigsaw to come and cut some hedgehog highway holes in my fences in case my hog got out then couldn’t get back in again. The hog was a big one and I am unable to see if it was a male on the photos. It disappeared on the only night I forgot to put out food! But this was also one of the nights the camera failed to work. The garden clearance is due to start late November when they would be thinking about hibernating , hence I tried to relocate and resettle in another part of the garden well in advance.

Hedgehog