Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Calci worms? Reply To: Calci worms?

Nic

Hi Strider

As things stand not enough is known about calci-worms, so I wouldn’t feed them, especially on their own. There is potential concern that they might have too much calcium in them and could cause problems in that respect i.e. as with humans, kidney stones, heart problems etc. But the calcium levels can be quite a lot different depending on what the worms have been fed – sometimes, apparently literally rubbish. Also, nutritionally, they would be too limited if fed alone, even without those potential problems

Hogs are better off being offered cat, dog or meaty hog food. It sounds to me as if your best bet is to create a cat proof feeding box, which is possible. There are some ideas here: https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/cat-proof-hedgehog-food/

Good luck. Hope one of those works, but if not, there are some other ideas people have tried. Let us know how you get on.

Hedgehog