Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Gone missing Reply To: Gone missing

Nic

Hi PamSue

The hogs there might be hibernating now. The ones from here have disappeared – hopefully hibernating. Unfortunately the wary rat (which was quite motheaten and humped looking) must have told its friends and there has also been another sleek looking adult and a younger one which don’t seem worried about anything. I left some food to start with, hoping any hogs would get there first, but now the hogs have gone I’ve had to stop. I’ve only ever had 1 rat at a time before – 3 is a bit much! I’m hoping they will give up and go somewhere else if they find no food for a few days running. I don’t think they live in my garden and I haven’t seen any bolt holes, so there isn’t much else I can do.

Interesting about the mint – I won’t bother to try that then! Sadly any cats who’ve visited here (sometimes a few a night) always seem to avoid the time the rats are here and the scent of them has never seemed to put any visiting rats off. I wonder if that lion poo which is sometimes advertised to deter cats would work any better. Although there’s a risk the hogs wouldn’t like it either.

Good luck with the situation there. I hope you manage to find something that puts them off.

Hedgehog