Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Nic

Hi Annie

I’m guessing that many pigeons can still get through a fair amount of food! Luckily I don’t usually get more than 2 or 3. I gave them strict instructions not to tell all their friends! But there are a fair few collared doves around and the usual sparrows and starlings. There was a sparrowhawk here the other day who had one of the poor sparrows, but he has to eat, too, and a handsome bird.

The starlings round here seem to be merging into larger flocks than previously, but not large enough to be considered to be a murmeration. Still quite impressive when they land on various aerials along the row of houses. My little robin friend is still around, now with a ‘proper’ red breast. Usually when I’m in the garden I hear some quiet robin song and there he/she will be nearby. Some blackbirds have appeared here again, too, although not sure if they are the same ones – not so friendly, anyway – they may be migrants.

The hogs have disappeared but there have been some rats around, which is annoying as I normally would have still been leaving food out for the hogs, in case. No nests in my boxes this autumn, but I suppose there is still time. When the hogs spend the day in the boxes, I sometimes have to lift them a little bit to fit the bowl in (they are normally rolled up, snoozing). One just ripples his prickles a bit, but another slightly more grumpy one gives a slight grunt or two. (Both boys). But I check and they don’t come straight out afterwards, so hopefully have a little chomp before venturing out for the night.

Well done with the lavender. If they like where they’re planted they can be quite amazing. Sometimes they get loads of butterflies around them, too – which can be quite impressive. How lovely watching the bats and sitting out with them. Sounds a lovely thing to do.

Hedgehog