Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Small Young Hog Reply To: Small Young Hog

Nic

Hi scoobysue

Sorry no-one replied sooner.

I think you might need to weigh the little one – althouth it’s probably a bit bigger by now – they grow very quickly at that age. I would take the scales outside to minimise any stress.

Then, as you’re feeding (hopefully cat, dog or meaty hog food) and offering water to the little one and the weather is still so mild, if the little one is over 350g and is behaving normally, turning up regularly, etc. I would be inclined to let it stay and keep an eye on it. As mentioned they do put on weight very quickly and it can be very stressful for them to be in captivity which would be the alternative. Some hoglets continue to visit all through winter – they don’t seem to mind the cold too much as long as they have somewhere sheltered to curl up.

If it weighs less than 350g, I would ring your local hog carer and take their advice. They will be familiar with your local weather conditions, etc.

Good luck. I hope all goes well.

Hedgehog