Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat Hedgehog hygiene Reply To: Hedgehog hygiene

Nic

Hi Colin

I don’t know about street lights. But I used to leave the outside light on where I fed the hogs, for a couple of hours in the evening (so I could watch them) and the light didn’t seem to bother them at all. If anything I used to have more hogs visiting in those days. I think they, or some of them, are more likely to be a bit wary with lights going on and off (i.e. security lights).

So, whilst others may have different experiences, sorry, but I suspect, as the lights, I assume, would not be going on and off with any frequency, that they wouldn’t bother the hogs too much. From my experience I think hogs would get used to the lights and your suggestion of motorists being better able to see the hogs (and hopefully avoid them) might outweigh any potential problems which the hogs themselves might perceive. Although, potentially, it might make the hogs more visible to predators? – dogs come to mind.

I have, though, heard that some birds start to sing at night in street-lit areas and there are, no doubt other reasons why street lights might be detrimental to other wildlife. It’s great that you are thinking about the impact on hogs and there may be plenty of other good reasons why brighter lights might not be a good idea. Pros and cons, I suppose.

Sorry not to be much help, but good luck.

Hedgehog