Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Hi Nic
This is odd as I’m sure I already answered your message above.

Here goes again anyway. You & I are lucky to have so many birds visiting but we make them welcome providing food & a bird friendly garden, so few people do. I’ve been feeding chopped peanuts & sunflower seeds until this week, just peanuts now as the sunflowers seeds were being left on the ground to go rotten. The peanuts are very popular with everyone. Pigeons are still around though still smaller numbers thank goodness.

Lidl have some quite cheap bags of mixed nuts in shells so the squirrels are enjoying those & I’m enjoying the price.

Starling murmurations have been swooping here this week, stunning to see then they pour out of the sky into the trees, amazing sight. Not the gigntic gatherings I’ve seen on screen but seversl thousand birds nevertheless.

My hedgehog nestbox hasn’t attracted anybody this autumn/winter either, very disappointing as I’d scrubbed it out, filled with folded fresh newspaper in the base & hay & cut myself quite badly on branches repositioning it in a better place in the border with more shelter! Still plenty of takers in the feeders most nights, by the size of the poo it’s the little hogs coming. Haven’t put a camera out for some time, maybe I should. Just bought a 10kg bag of kitten biscuits which will last well into Spring I think & ensure nobody goes hungry this winter. There’s a water dish in one of the feeders which never freezes so always water for them whatever the weather, just about room in the other feeder so I may put water in there too if it gets really cold.

Hope you’re well & staying safe & warm.

Hedgehog