Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Hi Nic, Happy New Year.

Shame about the rats, really frustrating. Haha, that’s a lot of starlings, they descend here in great numbers & spill the food from the feeders for the pigeons – yep, still have some of them but not the flock of 30 odd we had previously. Mrs Blackbird is back asking for food when she spots me.

I’ve continued to put a little food in both hog feeders as until the last few nights it was still being taken most nights though as no crumbs are left in the dish more recently I’m not sure it’s hedgehogs, mice probably. In the past it’s been hilarious watching a tiny mouse on camera racing away with his booty, must take a few mice to chomp their way through a kitten biscuit. During the extremely cold spell we had a few weeks back there were definitely hogs visiting as they left their calling card each night for me to clean up & I met a large one on his/her way to the feeder late one night. It was a challenge to keep water in the feeders from freezing & I put cat food from sachets out on those nights with the dry so they could have moisture from the food if the water froze.

One of the squirrels looks for me if their feeder is empty & races up to the house to take half a walnut from me on the fence! He’s terrified of anybody else so I’m not teaching him to lose his fear of humans. I wish grey squirrels weren’t being treated so shoddily by the UK govt & even the Wildlife Trusts of all people are now involved in the war on them. We should celebrate & protect all our wildlife as they’re disapppearing every day, picking & choosing which to keep of so few animals is disgusting. Personally I’d rather get rid of quite a few humans, naming no names.

After such a dry summer winter is more than making up for it!

In the next month or so I expect hog activity to begin again, as nobody took up the offer of accomodation in my clean hog house I’m hoping somebody will use it this Spring. I’ll start a new thread when that happens but stay here until then.

Hedgehog