Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Nic

Hi Annie

Happy new year to you, too.

Yes, I have a Mrs. Blackbird asking for food again, too. Although not every day, as now I’m not regularly feeding the birds I’m not outside so much.

I haven’t seen any hogs for ages. I was seeing the occasional rat before so haven’t been putting food out – they would just eat it and there would be nothing left for the hogs anyway. It’s mostly mice now, on the cameras, or birds during the day. I have been leaving the camera on all day in case any hogs turn up.

Grey squirrels are a tricky one. I always think they are really cute – and amazing to see them on those squirrel tests to see how clever they are. But at the same time it would be nice to see red squirrels around, too. I have heard of ways of controlling the numbers of greys without actually killing them, though. It is a good example of the dangers of introducing foreign species on the pre-existing species. But once they are an established species here ….. ?

I agree re. all the wet weather. I imagine there will be a fair few poor hogs who got caught out by the floods. A bit unfortunate that the cameras don’t seem to work so well at this time of year. Fingers crossed for all the hogs.

Hedgehog