Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again Reply To: Feb 2022 – hedgehog(s) on camera every night at feeder again

Hi Nic

Have reduced bird feeding to just a small amount in the morning, sometimes a little mid day & stopped feeding the squirrels altogether because of cat predation. I’ll probably stick to this from now on as the two new cats on the block will be a real threat to baby squirrels & birds when they arrive. Also have managed to reduce the large visiting flock of pigeons to a handful with feeding gradually less over time, better for all birds concerned with avian flu still hanging over their heads not to have huge numbers feeding in the same area.

Yes, greys have been here many years, the talk of them being non native doesn’t wash after being established for so long. Also reds were relentlessly pursued at one time & killed in huge numbers & had a price on their own heads for what was seen as damage to trees so humans aren’t exactly blameless as far as the balance between the two goes. Time to let nature get on with it & stop wanting to control & kill anything not seen as ideal. There are a few people I’d get rid of that would benefit us much more than killing any of our British animals.

Also time to start a new thread when I can remember how to do it as my visitors have returned in the last few days. See you there!

Hedgehog