Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back. Reply To: 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back.

Nic

HI Annie

Yes, know what you mean re. rats. I wouldn’t want to harm one, but the trouble is, given the chance they would just eat any food left out for the hogs before the hogs got a look in. It’s possible the hogs will just stop visiting if there is never any food left for them. I was hoping the break in food over the winter might have made the rats give up visiting here, but no such luck. The rats are also very good worm catchers, so are competing in that respect as well.

I also remember seeing an old (looked deserted) barn, out on a walk years ago, which was absolutely swarming with rats. Certainly wouldn’t want that many near the house! Had never seen so many before or since – quite a scary sight. Two of the rats seen here (on video) recently, look suspiciously like ‘short tail’ and ‘one eye’ from last year, which is a bit surprising.

Yes, it was lovely to see the little wren bathing, I don’t recall seeing one doing that before. Always something new to see, even just in the garden!

Hedgehog