Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help! I’ve got rats. Reply To: Help! I’ve got rats.

I have a feeder made from plastic underbed box. Very successful attracting hogs. But have noticed a couple of rats this year. Next door has dense shrubbery and they are darting through our fence to far side of our garden. Feeder is near end of our largish garden. Last night we had the camera out and there was a constant stream of hogs from about 9.00 pm-5.00 am. But also 4 or 5 rats. We’ve been putting peppermint oil in tunnel and around. Strangely didnt deter some of the rats but couple of others wouldn’t go in. But on several occasions a rat was feeding next to hog, which concerned me as I’ve read they can attack hogs. At a loss what to try next. I feed dry hog food which I buy on line and dry kitten biscuits all of which rats seem to enjoy. Have tried wet cat food but they ate that too. Don’t want to stop feeding hogs. Any further suggestions/ advice?

Hedgehog