Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Hedgehog been coming for months vanished Reply To: Hedgehog been coming for months vanished

Nic

Hi am66

Welcome to the Forum!

Well done keeping the little hog going over the winter. It’s can be sad, as we all get so attached to the hogs, especially those we’ve known from hoglets, but males tend to start creating their own ranges when they get a bit older and may move away a bit. If they stayed in the same range where they were born it would likely lead to inter-breeding with family members, so it makes sense.

Although we can’t be 100% sure what is happening in this case, if it is that, it would be down to you helping the little hog through the winter that he had the chance to move on with his life, and hopefully meet some females and do his bit towards the next generation. So don’t be too sad. You have done well for the little hog.

Nothing is for certain that any similar situation will be the same, but when I had a lovely, very distinctive looking, male hoglet (which I was very attached to – so I don’t think it is silly at all) visiting some years ago, he moved away gradually. So he used to ‘disappear’ for a few days and then return, but the absences began to be for longer periods. That hog will always be a special hog in my memory. But, there is a chance that the little hog you helped will return occasionally.

If he doesn’t return, the good news is that if there is one hog in the area, there are likely to be others – not least his Mother and any potential siblings. The females tend to come out of hibernation later than the males, so there is still time for females to return from hibernation.

So, bearing in mind all that, I would continue to leave out food and water in the hope that either that hog or some other hogs will visit. Fingers crossed that you will be lucky and have more hogs to watch soon.

Good luck.

Hedgehog