Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Delighted & concerned Reply To: Delighted & concerned

Nic

Hi Rad

I can understand your concern. Unfortunately some foxes once they learn how to kill a hog will continue to kill others. So it is possible it could have impacted the population in the area to some extent. But having said that, there are other potential reasons why the hogs aren’t visiting your garden – i.e. someone else nearby has started feeding, the route to your garden could have been blocked/disturbed (bearing in mind that hogs can travel up to 2 miles a night, it could be anywhere on their normal route), etc.

I have only seen a hog once, here, so far this year, which is very unusual as I would normally expect to be seeing several, visiting nightly, by now. I think it is entirely possible that the alternative potential reasons I suggested above could be the reason. I am hopeful, some more will turn up soon.

It might also depend a bit on whether you are in a rural or urban/suburban location. Hog populations in rural areas have apparently not been doing as well as in urban/suburban areas – where they have come to rely on our gardens to find some decent habitat – which shows how important it is that we all do our best to make our gardens as wildlife friendly as possible.

But if there is one hog around it is likely there are more, so fingers crossed you get some more visitors soon. Good luck.

Hedgehog