Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Male feeding female? Reply To: Male feeding female?

Thanks Nic. Here’s Pegleg’s story:

Last autumn we noticed one of our hedgehogs really struggling to walk, leaning over at every step as she dragged herself to the feeding box. Eventually we saw that her right rear foot was missing, just a jagged stump left. We agonised over what to do. If we find an abandoned hoglet here, we usually take it to the vet for a once-over, and if they think it will survive they take it to a sanctuary nearby. However, I thought it most likely that if I took this hedgehog to the vet they would just put her down. I couldn’t bring myself to dig her out of her nest box in the daytime. In the end I decided to let nature take its course.
Surprisingly, we saw her struggling to the feeding box every night, and slowly getting better. This went on for eight weeks, some time after the others had hibernated. Eventually she stopped coming, and we thought she’d either hibernated or was dead.
So great joy when she reappeared in early April. We can now see that her leg has healed to a neat round stump but she still can’t walk very well. Blotchy circled her on the doormat one night, but she didn’t look pleased and I think she got away. We have put a new feeding box a little closer to her nest box, and she’s using it.
I wonder how she’ll cope with motherhood though?

Hedgehog