Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Male feeding female? Reply To: Male feeding female?

Nic

Hi Spinyfriend

That’s really interesting about Pegleg. Nature is amazing! Although she was lucky it didn’t get infected. I completely understand your dilemna. Some vets may be more likely to put such a hog down, or even amputate part of a leg, which could have made it even harder to cope than with a peg leg. But I think I might be inclined to go straight to a hog sanctuary/hospital/rehabilitator in such circumstances, as they may be able to give antibiotics if necessary. But the best course of action is not always clear. There are sometimes pros and cons.

The important thing is that things turned out well for Pegleg which is brilliant. She may become better at walking as she gets more practice, but I agree, motherhood may not be for her. Female hogs have to pretty much co-operate for mating to be successful so she would need to be able to get into the right position – which may or may not be possible for her. It would be interesting to know if hogs like Pegleg ever do manage to successfully produce and rear hoglets.

I hope Pegleg continues to do well. Happy hog watching!

Hedgehog