Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back. Reply To: 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back.

Nic

Hi Annie

Thankfully the hogs have become regular vistors again. At least 3 of them – at least 2 are males (a bit of biffing and rolling going on one night), but not sure about the other one, yet. They mostly arrive one at a time.

I probably shouldn’t say it, but I haven’t seen any rats for ages. But I am spreading the food on the grass in case any turn up. That way, even if something else turns up (i.e. a cat did one night) the hogs still have a chance of finding some food. I put some in a food box (should be cat proof) as an extra supply, but the hogs have seldom gone in there. There is quite a gang of corvids on the grass in the mornings – rooks and jackdaws, mostly – finishing off any leftovers!

Not sure about the frogs – I haven’t seen any, but haven’t really looked very carefully and the pond has got quite overgrown around the edges, so there could easily be a frog or two hidden there.

I agree, it’s sad what is happening in lots of gardens. But, it’s not so much hard landscaping here, as people strimming everything in sight! I hate the sound of them! Thankfully there are also some people trying to make their gardens more wildlife friendly – just need more of those and less of the others!

But yes, looking out for the hogs, etc. for as long as possible has got to be a good thing. I hope you are still getting lots of hogs visiting there and are still enjoying their visits – as well as all the birds, squirrels etc.

Hedgehog