Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog tales Query unusual behaviour Reply To: Query unusual behaviour

Can someone please help me?
I have had a hog visit for weeks in April in my front garden, I made a hole In the back garden gate, then he started coming down the side of the house so I moved the feeding station into the back garden.

When I had a look at him he was absolutely jumping with fleas so I took matters into my own hands and bathed him with a gentle baby soap. Rinsed him well with lukewarm water and popped him back outside but he still had fleas.

Inorder for him to recover I was going to give him regular water therapy sessions so I bricked the hole in the gate which is the only access point, to temporarily use my garden as a ‘hog hospital’ for him.

I gave him lots of meaty food, water, a sturdy wooden hedgehog house, all he needed to recover while I was planning on giving him regular treatments for parasites. But that same night he climbed over the gate, (it’s 2.5ft metal sturdy mesh, easy to climb) and so I found out in the morning where he was nowhere to be seen in my enclosed garden.

He was nowhere to be seen for 8 days, until he turned up to my front garden for one night to eat where I had put food out ( I have only ever seen one hedgehog on the camera and in every shot it’s looked the same and I know it’s him because he has the same head shape + a row of claws missing on one of his feet from day 1)

I haven’t seen him since may 1st and he’s stopped visiting my garden, I live near a nature reserve.

What’s going on? Could the climbing of the fence somehow disturbed him?

Thanks 🙂

Hedgehog