Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back. Reply To: 23 February 2023 Hedgehog visitors are back.

Nic

Hi Annie

Oh, poor Mrs. Blackbird! Doesn’t sound a good look at all. Mr. Blackbird’s head is still totally bald. Poor chap looks a bit vulturine from some angles. I wouldn’t be surprised if he stays bald now, as it’s been so long. He went through a spell of making sure I noticed he was there. I keep a small supply of those suet pellets to give him but don’t leave out them unless I see him. But he was a bit miffed once when I was out the front gardening and didn’t notice he was there until he dived straight at me! Only just missed.

Very exciting the night before last – a hoglet in the garden. Quite well grown but still cute. Such a treat! Sadly he/she wasn’t back last night, but it’s nice to know there is at least one around and therefore also a female not too far away. The others visiting still seem to be males – unless they are getting confused and biffing females as well! There are normally only 1 or two here at a time and no others were here when the hoglet visited.

The laid back hog seems to have given up on the box since it got a bit cooler. It’s good that the hogs there have reverted to more normal hours since the weather cooled down a bit, too. Hope we don’t get heat here like in southern Europe!

Good news about the bats there. I occasionally see one here, but still haven’t got round to getting a detector. I see quite a lot of moths around when I put the hog food out, so there must be plenty for the bats to eat, but I don’t seem to catch them on the hog cam so much since the camera was moved a bit. Interesting about the bees, etc. Here, I didn’t have so many earlier in the year, but there seem to be more now. I was really pleased to see a small copper butterfly in my wild flower patch the other day – one of my favourites. It seems to be buzzing with insects when the sun shines – lots of scabious out at the moment, which seem to be popular.

Glad to hear the squirrels are managing to evade the cats and dogs.

Hedgehog