Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Carers / rescuing a hedgehog Help! Two Hedgehogs & a Nervy Newb (long) Reply To: Help! Two Hedgehogs & a Nervy Newb (long)

Hello again
Just thought I’d update now I’ve had the Hedgies a couple of weeks.

The first couple of days leaving food in two separate stations, one station where food was being eaten (but mouse activity noted) and one where only wet cat food was eaten. We then got a camera which triggered about 6 videos on the first night and 5 of them were of cats! Putting their heads in the non-mousey station and nicking the food. The 6th video was a fleeting glimpse of a hedgehog walking by.

So, we attached a drain pipe to the entrance of the “cat” station and for two nights none of the food in there was touched. No videos either. I nearly posted on here to ask if it was normal for them to avoid new things but I thought it probably was and I should wait a bit longer. Last night some food was finally taken from there, hopefully by a hedgehog.

The other feeding station is an upturned fish crate and the cats can’t fit in there. Now also getting some good video of the hedgehogs. Last night was the best ever. 7 videos and only one of a cat, walking past the food stations then going next door (good riddance).

One hedgehog has a widows peak and the other has a smooth semi-circle shaped hairline, I don’t know which is which though.

So I’m quite content now, they’re both still alive and eating the food. Still don’t have footage of either one exiting or entering their houses, though. I don’t want to look inside in case they’re using them and would be stressed by me taking the roof off!

Thanks again, it’s nice to know there are good people here, willing to help if needed.

Hedgehog