Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Champions’ chat BHPS A24 TRAP PETITION POSTERS & LEAFLETS Reply To: BHPS A24 TRAP PETITION POSTERS & LEAFLETS

I received the generic reply on the petition signing. Do people realise the impact this trap could have on our native wildlife.

My reply was;

Surely it is your responsibility having given permission to allow the use of this trap to monitor its use and to ensure it is being used for its designated purpose, a study needs to be made to measure its impact on native wildlife.

“It is for the trapper to make sure conditions of use are complied with and offences against protected species are not committed.”
How is this assessed and enforced??

This trap has the potential to cause a lot of harm, particularly if used indiscriminately – it’s not just hedgehogs at risk, squirrels, birds, mammals – protected and non protected species. Anyone who pokes their head in the wrong ‘door’ is at risk.

If the trap was designed for use on rats and stoats fine but its design was also for use on hedgehogs abroad and I am assuming the design hasn’t been adapted for use in the U.K. The tunnel suggestion is ridiculous, the manufacturer doesn’t produce a tunnel and if one was setup this wouldn’t separate the ‘wheat from the chaff’. You don’t have a turn left for rats/stoats, turn right protected and non-protected British Wildlife.

Hedgehog