Accessibility Homepage Skip navigation Sitemap

Forum

Register and log in to gain access to our forums and chat about everything 'hedgehog'!

Thank you for looking to contribute to the Hedgehog Street forum. Please note that when submitting replies or posts, these are run through our spam-checkers, so there may be a slight delay in your posts appearing, and reflecting in the forum post details below. However, if you think anything has gone awry please contact us.

The views and opinions expressed in this forum do not necessarily represent the views of PTES or BHPS.

Home Forums Hedgehog signs and sightings Marking Hedgehogs? Reply To: Marking Hedgehogs?

Dee

Hi Wildlifehaven,
I like your thinking…..I also feel honoured to have hogs visiting my garden. Yes I have built them a house, I also know that will live where they choose !!!! And yes the feeding is to supplement their natural diet, with bowls of water as a given.
My small log pile and slightly messy garden have always been to their liking….in fact the hogs were here when I moved in, a good few years back, so deep respect to these fascinating animals.
On seeing your other post, I live in the middle of a housing estate with lots of connecting gardens via hedges for the hogs ( and local cats ). Yes there is a main road nearby, but if the hogs go the other way they will be able to sneak into the playing fields which are locked at night, so they should have happy, safe hunting there.
Because I keep odd hours I am able to note that the hogs can and do troll about all night long. I have 4 hogs that I know of using my and my neighbours gardens, 2 of which I brought back to my garden from rescue centre.
No, I don’t mark hogs…..though as you say it can be hard to tell who is who, but hey practiced observation takes patience.
The good thing is we now have a heightened awareness of hedgehogs and their needs. They were on this planet long before us, so lets watch and learn from these charming creatures.

Hedgehog